Tuesday, April 09, 2002

Why do I keep calling and asking apartments if I can have a dog there? The answer has always, in every case, been NO. Sometimes they're polite and say, "I'm sorry, no" and sometimes they're adament and superior and say "NO WAY!" with a laugh in their voices. Every time I hear "no" my heart breaks a bit more, even though I have a plan of action in case it does not work out. Why don't I just NOT tell them? Take her in anyway after I've moved in? Because I like to think of myself as an honest person, and I like to think that the world will give me a chance, just as I would give someone a chance. If I met the pet in it's current surroundings and found it to be well-behaved and the surroundings to be clean and neat... I would SO give that person an apartment. I guess there are just so many people looking for rental housing that it's just easier for them to wait for people without pets to come along and start a marijuana grow op or sell crack from the apartment. That's just so much nicer than a dog.

I can see how irresponsible dog owners have messed this up for everone else, but I think it's also the fault of the LAZY apartment mangers/owners who allow people with pets who let their dogs piss in the hallways and elevators and leave shit in the hallways to remain living on the premises. If the screening process was more involved and the landlords actually took the time to kick out the bad eggs, maybe everyone else would wake up and not follow the bad examples. "If everyone lets their dog shit in the hallway, what difference will it make if I do?" is almost as much the fault of the property manager as it is of the irresponsible owner who is that bad example. If that owner got kicked out (for damn good reason, I might add) then others would wake up and be responsible, or get their asses kicked out, too.

No comments: