Monday, April 08, 2002

Had an emotional time at the parents' tonight. They complained about me not getting them birthday cards. It was kind of the emotional straw that broke the camel's back and it made me very upset. It was pure, unadulterated guilt. And they weren't sorry for making me feel bad about it. They said as much even after I explained that I love them, they love me. We both KNOW that. Isn't that better than getting cards that the giver feels OBLIGATED to give? They just couldn't see it my way.

So in order to smooth over the pathway to me possibly moving in with them for a month or so... I am going to my Mom's work today ON HER BIRTHDAY to bring her flowers and possibly something I've made (if I can do a good enough job of it). Best get started so I get there before lunch so she can brag to all her friends about me. Meh.

Play inside the box for the parents' benefit. How sad. Maybe through us living together I can lead by example and show them some outside the box thinking? Heh. I lived with them for 23 years... and that didn't show them! I don't think they'll ever be ready.

No comments: