Friday, April 12, 2002

The Friday Five

1. What is your favorite restaurant and why? The Boathouse. Yummy Seafood. Great Steaks. Wonderful Atmosphere (casual and intimate but fun) and almost always great service, too. Ahh. It's like home. I also love Samurai Sushi downtown because of their huge portions, cheap prices and quick service

2. What fast food restaurant are you partial to? I go pretty regularly to Burger King and have a Whopper Jr. with Cheese, no pickle, no onion and a medium coke. It's a nice lunch. If you consider food court restaurants "fast food" then my absolute favourite is Curry Express in Landsdowne Mall in Richmond. YUM. YUM. Butter Chicken. OMG. YUM.

3. What are your standards and rules for tipping? Tipping is evil when you consider that I worked at a full-serve gas station in the freezing cold and broiling heat and worked my BUTT off checking oil, transmission fluid, washing windows and filling gas tanks and very oh-so-extremely-rarely got a tip. The one guy who always tipped, had all of us swarm his car and give him even better service than we already gave (and we rocked). I don't know that taking a food order and delivering the food is all that hard a job and certainly not worthy of a tip on it's own. However, I usually succumb to social pressure and leave something. The first time I visit a nice restaurant that I want to frequent again, if I like the food a lot I will tip BIG (20%or more) as long as the service was satsifactory. This really does help people remember you if you plan to come back. After the first visit what makes me leave a GOOD tip (over 15%) is when they are pleasant and knowledgeable about the food and they can keep up with my rampant consumption of ice water. This is very hard to do. I love the stuff. Don't bug me too much, though or you'll ruin my good mood and then... BAM! 10% tip. If the service sux I leave something insulting (because I was insulted!) like 2%. Ain't I nasty?

4. Do you usually order an appetizer and/or dessert? Pretty much never unless it's at the boathouse or La Terazza (soon not to be) next door. Then I try to share both with someone.

5. What do you usually order to drink at a restaurant? Ice Water. I'm not cheap, I just love it the best. Occasionally I'll order coke or even more rarely a Bellini or a Long Island Iced Tea.

No comments: