Friday, April 12, 2002

Feels like I accomplished something. Not sure if that's true or not what with the state I'm in.

This blog is tending towards inane blather. I don't know if I have a remedy for that or not. let's see...

What do I believe in? Myself. Do I believe in God? Not sure, really. A higher order perhaps, but not really a supreme being. I believe we are all connected, and that is why we should be good to one another. I don't think we have to be good because we'll "go to Hell" if we're not and "go to Heaven" if we are... rather I have a more personal sense of connectedness to my fellow planet-mates that makes me feel a sense of responsibility about how I act towards them. I would hope that they have it for me, too.

The world that I live in today does not so much lack self respect as it lacks regard for others. If we held each other in higher regard it would make the world a better place. A safer place, too. If we held strangers in higher regard, perhaps we would be more willing to help them out when we saw that they were in trouble and vice versa. Whether they just dropped something from their purse or pocket accidentally, or if they're having a seizure in the middle of the sidewalk. In either case, too many people these days just look the other way and think, "It's none of my business". If we held each other in higher regard, we would have a slower, more relaxed pace of life. The rush, rush, rush of "get out of MY way" would become a more peaceful and communal commute. The way we think about how we go about relating to others would change. We would no longer be trying to "take" the other guy for whatever we could get, but we would try to make sure we gave them the best service/product/smile/ handshake/whatever that we possibly could. The reciever of this service/product/smile/ handshake/whatever would also be grateful and hold our actions in higher regard. It's a beautiful system, in a perfect world. This world isn't perfect. Far from it. And we are only human. Oh so human.

Is it the emotional baggage that we hold on to that covers up and blocks this feeling of regard and respect for others from coming through? Are we made bitter by what happened to us in our childhoods and later years, or are we just born with "ME ME ME" in our hearts? Maybe it's a process of past lives... do we learn regard for others over time and many lives and experiences, or do we have it as a blissful innocence upon being created as a soul, and then bury it in bitterness living a score of lives dealing with those who do not have it only to gradually gain it again as a form of enlightenment before moving on to a different plane of existence?

However it works, I want more of it in my life. I give it freely and see what happens.

No comments: