Monday, May 06, 2002

Ungh. Early. I left for work at 4:50AM... tried a different route which seems to be kind of roundabout... and it took me about 45 minutes. I'll try another way tomorrow and see how long it takes. It's going to be different depending on what shift I work. The early shift is great traffic-wise... but sleep-wise? Not so good. *yawn*

I really feel for the Jehovah's Witness father whos 16 year old daughter is dying of lukemia in Calgary. Blood transfusions are the only thing that will keep her alive to fight the cancer. Blood transfusions are prohibited by their religion. After much deliberation and study of the bible he concluded that the reason the sharing of blood is prohibited is to prevent the spread of disease - not to prevent his daughter from having a chance at life. He broke with his strong religious beliefs to get her blood transfusions. His entire church and family are against him, including his daughter... and yet he continues to fight to get her those transfusions. He has been ostracized by his church, his family all tell him to his face that they hate him, and his daughter allows him a few half hour visits per week where she all but ignores him. Publicists and lawyers from The Watchtower Society in Toronto have arrived on the scene to fight the transfusions.

I suppose he's forcing his beliefs on someone else... but then -- at 16 how firm are your beliefs? At that age I was very impressionable, and a well-spoken publicist and lawyer from an organization that I believed in would certainly have swayed my opinion... anything rather than listen to my father.

No comments: