Friday, May 31, 2002

I used to hear people talk about the differences between being "alone" and being "lonely". I would smile and nod as they explained how these things are so different, but I would never fully grasp what they meant. How could EITHER one be a good feeling? Weren't they exactly the same thing? Devoid of companionship! Missing something in life?

Last night when that ephiphanny hit me, I was floored by how obvious the difference had suddenly become.

Being alone can be a glorious thing. It is only bad if you are lonely. You can be lonely even if you are in a relationship... but if you're okay with being alone, then you're less likely to be lonely... at least in my experience.

One day I might be able to articulate it a bit better... but I think that if a person understands the differnce between the two words... then they don't need my explanations... and if they don't understand, then no matter how eloquently I put it into words, they will not understand until THEY figure it out.

No comments: