Thursday, March 07, 2002

After posting last night, feeling all depressed and down, I read Gretchen's journal. She made me smile again. Thank-you, Gretchen. *hug*

All in all, I think we make way too big a deal out of birthdays. The years are just a number, it's experiences that really count. But, be it consiously or subconsiously we all want our day to be special. However, there is such a thing as not making a big ENOUGH deal out of birthdays. I didn't realize it yesterday, but today it's as clear as bottled water... George didn't do enough for my birthday. I could care less about what everyone else does, but a little touch like a card, flowers, dinner made for me... something... ANYTHING out of the ordinary and special would have been nice. He did pay for my sushi. Which I suggested. Which I ordered. Which we get all the time. But what I really wanted was a little pampering on the day. It is more difficult when we're both working, and especially so when I work at 6AM and have to go to sleep really early... but showing someone you love that you really do care about them, that you really do value them, that you remembered them, and took the time to do something for them... that can be done at any time during the day or night. Leave a gift, a flower, a card, a note... just do it.

I guess it's partly my fault for not letting him know what a big deal it is to me, but for most people it's an unwritten rule. Especially the birthday of your lover. I think I'll have a talk with him tonight and let him know that next year will be different, and that this weekend had better rock my world to make up for this year!

No comments: