Monday, January 21, 2002

On my ride home, I discovered what I thought was the looseness of the headset on my bike. Wrong! I wore it out! Already! I just had it fixed, what? Two years ago... guess I've been riding a bit more than I used to. *GRIN* In fact, I will soon (in a few days) be at 2000 kilometres since I bought my new Cycle Computer this summer. That's pretty cool! Imagine all the gas I've saved myself! If I were to drive 2000 kilometres in the car, that'd be about $240 in just a few months!! Rockin'.

So on the way home, I cycled in to my friendly neighbourhood Cambie Cycles to have them tighten what I thought was my loose headset.. they pointed out my mistake and I arranged for them to fix it up.. They specialize in recumbent bicycles, but they work on old clunkers like mine, and they treat you fairly. They also listen to very eclectic music in the shop, which is an absolute delight.

So I'm going to get the bearings replaced in my headset, and I know my bike is falling apart slowly... so I've been thinking about buying a new bicycle. I don't want something that is inviting to theives, but I want something durable, comfortable to ride long distances on, and I want something that will work with the majority of the gear that I already have. The people at work already think I'm a freak for riding to work all year long, anyway... so I might as well reinforce this fact by getting a recumbent bicycle! The ultimate nerd-mobile!

I tried the R40 Under Tiagra today. I was a tad wobbly, but I got used to it fairly quickly. My very first time on a recumbent was like learning to ride all over again. Turning scared me, so I didn't try that in the tight alley that I rode the bike in... it was funny, the salesguy was running along behind me supporting the bike for the first bit... it was like Dad helping me on my way... I soon outpaced him and found my balance.

One word. Comfort.

I chose the short wheelbase with low handlebars. VERY comfy. It comes in red or blue. I like blue. Now it's only $1700 away. Ugh. Not this year, methinks. But boy-oh-boy would my nether-bits ever thank me.

No comments: